You don’t need to hire a heating contractor in Quincy, Illinois, to replace your air filter, but there are times when it’s wise to call an expert. If you want to enjoy all the benefits of preventive maintenance, here are a few golden rules.
Three Simple Tips for Effective Heating Maintenance
The best maintenance plans are simple and effective. You can keep your heating system in peak condition by reviewing recommendations in your user manual and following these tips.
- Do replace the thermostat battery annually if the unit is not hard wired. Take a moment to review your programmed schedules and test your carbon monoxide detector or smoke alarm.
- Do inspect your air filters monthly to prevent airflow imbalances and overheating. Once per season, remove the registers and vacuum inside the ducts to eliminate cobwebs and loose debris.
- For heat pumps, gently hose down the coil fins to remove pollen and grass clippings. It’s also a good time to collect any fallen leaves that have accumulated around the unit.
Three Maintenance Mistakes to Avoid
Do-it-yourself heating maintenance pays off, but as a homeowner, you have to know where to draw the line. For optimal results, avoid these maintenance pitfalls.
- Don’t perform under-the-hood repairs yourself. Leave the work to a qualified professional. At Air Specialists Heating & Air Conditioning, our NATE-certified techs have completed advanced training specific to heat pumps and furnaces.
- Don’t skip your annual tuneup. It’s easy to postpone preventive maintenance, but you’ll miss out on lower energy bills and increased peace of mind. By the time you schedule an appointment, it could be too late.
- Don’t ignore the warning signs. If you notice loud noises, rising energy bills or anything suspicious, schedule an inspection to rule out mechanical issues and avoid repairs.
When to Call a Heating Professional
If you’re concerned about your heater’s performance or if you’d like to schedule a tuneup, call 217-280-4125. You can find more information about our maintenance services online.